This weekend, Wegmans closed their current East Avenue store so they could transition into their new, larger building . The new store replaces a historic area that was once the center of Brighton in the 19th century. The old Village of Brighton was served by the Erie Canal (now I-490). The canal was rerouted in the early 20th century and the entire area was annexed to the City of Rochester in 1905…
The first town meeting of Brighton was held in April 4, 1814 at the tavern owned by Orringh Stone. The town, which once stretched from the western banks of the Genesee River to Irondequoit Bay, and from Lake Ontario to the Henrietta town line, was named by William Billinghurst for his home in England. The village was officially incorporated in 1855 and Brighton gradually became smaller, beginning around 1823, when the City of Rochester began appropriating land. In 1905 the city annexed the Village of Brighton itself, located at the present-day site of Winton Road and East Avenue. The village was moved to the Twelve Corners area.
This poorly stitched together panorama (from Google Streetview) shows the buildings on the north side of East Avenue, including the original Wegmans at 1750 and the shuttered businesses of Old Brighton Antiques at 1794, Cyrus Oriental Rugs at 1796, Janet Bakel interior decorators at 1802, Safelink Supply and Upstate New York Alarm at 1806 and Fountain Bleu Coiffures at 1812. (Click the panorama for a larger view. Some scrolling required.)
This was the fire station for Hose Co. No. 19 on East Avenue. It stood where the current Wegman’s parking lot is near Probert Street. This photo was taken at the opening of the new fire station (c.1909). The station was taken over from Brighton.
This was 25 N. Winton Road, north of East Avenue. The building began as Brighton School District No. 2. When the area was annexed by the City of Rochester it became Rochester Public School No. 1 in 1905. Martin Brewer Anderson School No. 1 replaced it in 1922. The building opened as the Brighton Branch of the Rochester Public Library on Jan. 2, 1923. This library was in use until plans were announced to replace it with a new branch on Winton Road. A public auction of the building and land was held on June 6, 1967. The buyer was obliged to demolish or move the building. The demolition occurred sometime in the last week of October, 1967.
Tags: Andy Olenick, architecture, Brighton Branch of the Rochester Public Library, Brighton School No. 2, Brighton Village, Cyrus Oriental Rugs, demolition, East Avenue, East Avenue Wegmans, Fountain Bleu Coiffures, history of Rochester, Kate Lays, Kate Lotz, Martin Brewer Anderson School No. 1, Old Brighton Antiques, old photos of Rochester, old photos of Rochester NY, Rochester, Rochester history, Rochester NY, rochester photos, Safelink Supply, Upstate New York Alarm, William Billinghurst, Winton Road
This entry was posted on Monday, February 25th, 2013 at 7:56 am and is filed under Rochester History, Rochester Images, Urban Development. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.