The title of this postcard, "Typical Rochester Rail Equipment", is almost
a misnomer. The rolling stock depicted here may have been an ordinary site on
Rochesters streetcar and Subway lines during the 1930s and 40s, but to us,
this scene is quite exceptional.
We believe this photo/illustration was captured circa 1939 outside the East Main Street
Station and car barn. These three cars may have been lined up specifically for this photo
after being repainted by RTS (RTS took over operation of N.Y.S. Railways Rochester lines
From left to right:
Car 859 was originally built in 1914 as an open trolley car.
At a length of 43'6" its capacity increased from 46 to 52 after being rebuilt in 1930
as it is shown in its fully enclosed form with new folding doors and steps.
Car 616 was originally built in 1906 and rebuilt in 1916 enclosing its front platform,
extending it from 46' to 47'2", and adding folding doors and its roll-type sign as shown.
When trolly service ended in 1941 ten of these 600-series cars, including car 616, were stored
at the City Hall Station in the Broad Street tunnel for possible future use in subway service.
They were never used, however, and were scrapped in 1950.
Car 1234 was built in 1916 and later rebuilt increasing capacity from 52 to 64. These cars
were modified 550-series cars, known as "submarines".
The back of the postcard also lists the 1000-1024 fleet of cars although these are not depicted in the photo.
This is an original, one-of-a-kind item once its gone its
gone. And were in no rush to let it go. If youre interested in owning this
piece of history please email us or you can order a reprint.
For a closer look at this postcard
rollover the image to the left.