Rochesters first tokens were introduced in 1887 by the Rochester City and Brighton Railway. In those
days, city trolleys were horse drawn and tokens (23mm in size) like this one, were sold 22 for $1.00.
The Rochester City & Brighton Railroad Company operated horse-drawn trolleys over 9 miles of track
until Rochester Railway Co. took over the operation in 1890. Rochester Railway Co. immediately proceeded
to electrify Rochesters streetcar system with the important South and Lake line. An overhead trolley
wire was built and new cars ordered during the summer of 1890. On October 28, a trial run over the Lake line
was successfully conducted, and regular service with electric cars began the next day. On November 29, with
overhead construction on the South line completed, horsecars were withdrawn over the entire Lake-South line
in favor of the new electric cars.
Due to a lack of popularity, tokens were discontinued and replace with tickets until 1900 when the
Rochester Railway Co. reintroduced them in their smaller (23mm) size. Since then, tokens have been used
regularly for city fares by Rochester Railway Co. and then Rochester Transit Corp. when eventually
they would change from metal to plastic.
For a closer look at this item
rollover the image to the left.